Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Small joys

I've got at least five posts sitting in my head waiting for me to find the time to write them down, and those are just the posts that I've pondered over the past week or two; they don't even include the "history of my weight loss" posts that i'm planning on detailing at some point.

life has taken over, i guess, briefly. but i'll be back. (and as a brief update, food is going great, i've got the carbs well and truly out of my system, and i'm now at 153lbs)

so what i actually popped in to share was one of those small, sweet joys that happen from time to time. leaving aside the true joys of retail therapy (a looong post) having lost weight, i'll just say that i had an appointment today, and once it was done, i paid a short visit to a couple of my favourite clothes shops to see if they had anything for me. i've got a wedding to go to in a month or so and i need a nice top to go with my 'wedding' skirt. anyway...i found a couple of nice things, and took them to the cash register to pay. the woman behind the till asked me whether i wanted a strappy top - one of those body-hugging lycra things that are just so indispensible as part of your wardrobe - to go underneath one of the tops i was buying. i actually had looked for just such a thing, but hadn't seen any. she said there were some, and that she'd go and find one for me. she looked at me, and asked me what size i needed, and as i hesitated, she said "small, right?"

what a difference five years makes. five years ago nothing in that shop would have fit me at all. now, the sales assistant is correct in her assessment that i need their smallest size! (i bought it - it fits perfectly and is just what i needed).

small joys that aren't really all that small, after all.

1 comment:

KatieP said...

I learnt how to surf as part of a team building day with my staff (something I never would have even considered before I lost weight)and had trouble stopping the surfboard from nose-diving into the surf. The instructor said "yes, that often happens with skinny girls - not enough weight on the back of the board".
She was talking about me !!
Delightful to know that I am too skinny for the first time in my life. A small joy indeed!!